Thursday, January 15, 2009

CLUSTERF**K

Middlest is going to a birthday party tomorrow right after school--if there is school--and needed a gift, so she and I set out to purchase one. I used my remote start and waited awhile to bring the temp of the van up to only -10 or so. It is currently -21 degrees. We went out and got in the van and I was surprised that it wasn't running. I went to turn the key and heard the ever-dreadful CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK.
I thought for a moment of abandoning our journey, but Middlest was really looking forward to having some time alone with me and out of the house. I decided to dig Oldest's car out of the drift and give it a try. It started with only a small amount of begging. I had to back around the damn dead van and did so quite well--I thought--but we will get back to that later. Ok, so we were off like a herd of turtles to get the gift. When we approached the first light in town, I noticed that Oldest's tires were pretty bald when we began spinning out of control when some guy backed out in front of me. Middlest shed a few tears of fear and didn't ask to abandon our journey, surprisingly. As I began again I said that geez maybe we should buy Oldest some new tires. About 9 miles down the highway I heard a big thump and then dadut dadut dadut.....
I pulled over on the side of the highway and got out. YEP! FLAT! Middlest decided to have a meltdown at that point and vowed that this was the worst day of her life. I explained that things could've been a whole lot worse. (maybe???)
I called Mike's office and asked one of the guys to come and rescue us, which he did. Thank you so much Darryl!! Mike is still in Utah until midnight Friday. Does anyone notice a trend here? Mike is always out of state when these clusters occur. The refrigerator.
When we were dropped off at home I noticed one of our lovely lanterns laying flat in the snow. Apparently I didn't back up as neatly as I thought I had. I arranged to have a friend, Emily, pick me up for work tomorrow if my neighbor doesn't jump my van tonite. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!
I am staying home for the rest of this day.

No comments: