Monday, September 15, 2008

The Weekend From HELL!!

The weekend started out ok. I got Middlest's room all cleaned out and we have quite a huge pile of stuff to donate. Saturday Littlest and Middlest had bowling league. I got some cute pics. The bowling alley hasn't gotten the teams divided quite evenly, so we were there f-o-r-e-v-e-r!! Later on, Middlest asked if she could have an ice cream sandwich. I said sure. She asked me why was it so soft? I assumed that the freezer was going through a defrost cycle. You know what they say--NEVER ASSUME!!!
Sunday morning I walked into the kitchen and slid because the ice had all melted and dripped out of the ice/water door. I thought "Oh Shit!" I tried to convince myself that there must have been ice stuck in the door. Wrong. I opened the door and everything was thawed out.
I realized very quickly that the freezer was kaput! I was kind of flipping out because Mike is in Utah for two weeks and this is definitely his department. I got busy cleaning out the freezer and putting some stuff in the fridge. I decided to gut the freezer completely and clean it out. It looks awesome!!--It's not cold, but whatever.
After that I decided to start cooking some chicken for lunch and noticed that the lovely 3 lbs. of ground chuck was BROWN! It was wayyyyy to soon for that so I quickly opened it and to my amazement it didn't stink at all so I browned it all with onion and made chili w/ 2 lbs. and kept 1 lb. for something later. Who knows what?!
I was calling Mike this whole time to see if he could work his machine fix-y magic over the phone. No such luck. I called our friend Tami to see if she knew a guy who could come out on a Sunday. She laughed and then sent her wonderful husband, Randy and their son Ryan over to lend us their garage fridge. I figured that they would put theirs in the garage and I would be putting on the miles between the kitchen and garage. They decided to remove ours from the kitchen and put theirs in its place. I was soooo happy and thankful!! Our refrigerator is a Kenmore and only 5 years old. It is a large side-by-side and they had to remove our front door to get it outside. By the time all of this was accomplished, it was 8pm and I had 3 garbage bags full of groceries. (I had just gotten groceries on Friday for $174.00) The kids had chili and warm milk for dinner. The knot in my stomach prevented me from eating until lunch today. Nobody has vomited from the milk yet, so I think I am ok.

No comments: